Wednesday, December 16, 2009

We got the travelin' blues


Murphy's Law seems to hold true no matter where in the world you are, or where you're going.

I was eagerly awaiting my son's arrival today, but he was flying on a Delta buddy pass and got bumped yesterday in Atlanta. They told him there's not much hope of making it onto another direct flight for at least 3-4 days; they're all full to overflowing.

But hey, we don't give up easily. Right now he's on his way to the airport for a flight to New York, and from there to Amman, Jordan, where he will have to spend a night before continuing on to Dubai.

Being the caring and protective dad that I am, I'm trying to catch a flight to meet him in Amman. I'll probably never have another reason to go to Jordan, so why not? We'll explore the city, find a place to stay, then head back this way the next day.

But I'm having problems on my end, too. Something's wrong with the online reservation system at Fly Dubai Airlines and it won't process my booking. No matter how much I yell at the computer screen, it keeps telling me I entered "incorrect information."

People in the reservations center say it's a mystery. (They were friendly enough, but of no help whatsoever.) And because it's less than 24 hours until flight time, they won't take a phone reservation. Argh!

So Plan B (or is it Plan C? Plan D?): I'll get up at 5 am and get to the Dubai airport and try persuade someone to put me on a plane to Amman. If all goes well, I can arrive about 1 hour before he does.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. good luck! i hope you two have a great reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe if you follow your accompanying graphic you and Danny should hook up around Jan. 23 -- in Calgary. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete